Questions for a wedding photographer
Selecting a wedding photographer to trust can be a daunting task! You’ve searched all over the wedding listing sites, read countless review sites, and scoured through facebook forums. You’ve asked for recommendations from friends and family and have (hopefully) a short list of photographers that you think, “Yes. One of these could be the one!” You’ve reached out to your list of photographers and set up phone calls, video chats, and/or maybe in person meetings.
But wait… What questions should you ask a wedding photographer before hiring them? I’m glad you’re here. I’ve spoken to over 500 couples about their weddings as they search for a Boston wedding photographer and have had nearly every question thrown at me. I’ve compiled the most useful questions into this guide in hopes that it will help you!
Questions to get to know your wedding photographer
It’s important to get to know your photographer on a personal level. There is likely no wedding vendor that you will spend more active time with on the day of your wedding. These questions are important ones to ask your wedding photographer so that you can get a pulse on their passion, drive, and story.
- Tell me about yourself!
- How would you describe your photography style?
- What do you love about wedding photography?
- How did you get into the wedding photography industry?
- Are you a full-time photographer specializing in weddings?
Questions about wedding day logistics
Some photographers pride themselves on being able to create incredible photographs no matter how challenging the lighting is or how difficult the weather is on that day. If your venue is particularly dark, it’s ideal to see similar galleries so that you can understand how your photographer handles those challenges. Also, if there are
- How familiar are you with our venue, or venues similar to ours?
- Can you share several full galleries from a previous wedding in a similar style and vision as ours?
- Can you share sample work in unfavorable weather – in the case that we get rained or snowed out on our wedding day?
- How do you deal with family friction or difficult family dynamics on a wedding day?
Questions about wedding photography packages and pricing
All wedding photographers price their services differently. Some are a la carte. Some are in packages. It’s important to understand the level of service that you prefer as well as all fees involved.
- What is included in your wedding photography packages?
- What package do most of your couples purchase? Why?
- How much does it cost to add an engagement session, album, wall art, anniversary session, etc?
- Do you charge a travel fee?
- If my event lasts longer than expected, will you stay? What is the additional charge?
Questions about the wedding photography team and additional services
- Are you the lead photographer who will photograph my wedding?
- If you become ill or cannot make my wedding, who will be the lead photographer?
- Do you work with second photographers and assistants? How many will be there on our wedding day?
- If a second photographer is not included, is that an additional service that we can add? How do you feel about working with a second photographer?
- What other services do you provide? Same day edits? Videography? Photobooth?
Questions about the payment and booking process
Some surprises are great, but not when it comes to fees and payment!
- When and how will we receive the contract?
- What is the payment structure?
- How do you take payment?
- What taxes do I need to be aware of?
- How much of a deposit do you require? When is it due?
- Do you accept payments in installations?
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?
Questions about the process after your wedding day
Your wedding day was amazing, and now you’re excited to see your photographs! Wedding photography services extend far before as well as far after your wedding day. Understanding timelines and what to expect from your photographer, especially if it’s during a busy wedding season, will better set you up for a smooth working relationship.
- Do you offer retouching, color adjustment, or other corrective services? Are those included or an additional charge?
- How long after the wedding will we receive the images? How will they be delivered?
- Do we have the reprint and personal rights to our photographs?
- Can we order prints or albums directly from you?
- Will the images be accessible online? For how long?
- What type of album do you offer? Do you provide assistance selecting images and designing the album?
- What kind of wall art do you offer? Do you provide assistance in designing our gallery walls and installation of wall art?
Questions about wedding photography legality
- How do you prefer to communicate with your couples about the wedding day plans?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- Will you be able to provide my venue with a Certificate of Insurance?
- Do you have backup equipment?
There you have it! Perhaps not all of these questions will be relevant to your conversation with each photographer that you interview, but certainly highlight the ones that are important to you!
Some wedding photographers also have specific sections of their websites answering many of those questions. Here’s my FAQ! It might be worthwhile to browse their website a bit so that you can spend the meeting time on filling in the blanks!
Are there other questions for wedding photographers that I missed or should include in this list? Feel free to drop them in the comments below!