Wedding Lawn Games
Wedding lawn games are a popular addition to a wedding cocktail hour or reception. These outdoor yard games can provide entertainment for adults and kids alike while adding a unique and personal touch to the celebration. Popular lawn game choices include classic favorites like croquet and checkers, as well as modern options such as giant tumbling blocks and Jenga. Some couples may even prefer creative, personalized lawn games like custom made Cornhole boards for guests to enjoy. With so many options to choose from, incorporating wedding lawn games is sure to be a memorable addition that all of your guests will enjoy.
Should you include lawn games at your wedding?
Here are a few things to consider when deciding whether or not to have lawn games at your wedding.
Size and Space of Venue - When considering this option, couples must take into account the overall size and layout of their venue to ensure that there is sufficient space for activities.
Style and Theme of Wedding - It's also important to think about whether or not lawn games would fit in with the overall theme and style of the wedding.
Time to Enjoy - Additionally, couples should ensure there is enough time in the schedule for guests to enjoy these activities, as well as what other activities are already included in the planned itinerary.
Best Wedding Lawn Games
Everyone loves a trivia game, and it’s much more fun when the topic is centered on the bride and groom! At every guest’s seat, leave a cute sheet with some trivia questions about the bride and groom. They can be multiple choice, fill in the blanks, or true/false questions. Then, have the guests fill out their answers and have the emcee read off the correct responses. Whichever guests get the most correct answers will take home the centerpiece or a special gift.
A classic block-stacking game like Jenga is always a delight for groups at parties, and all you need is a table and some wooden blocks. While it might seem like an indoor game, it translates well to the outdoors, especially if you opt for a jumbo version. Consider spicing up this wedding lawn game by writing truth or dare consequences on each block.
This wedding lawn game staple will attract the attention of kids and adults alike. Make it extra special on your wedding day by making it personalized and life-sized! Imagine it being four feet tall and made from cedar or maple, customized by having the groom and bride’s names in the holes. The photo ops with this item are fun, so take the chance to have it in your reception!
Cornhole is one of the most popular outdoor wedding games. Players enjoy testing their hand-and-eye coordination while participating in this fun throwing game. You can take it to the next level with a personalized board and beanbag, adding LED lights to the boards or giving prizes to the best cornhole players!
If you provide a photo booth, people will come. Grabbing a few snapshots in a Photobooth is fun to do and it also gives guest a memento they can put up on the fridge. Don't pass on the chance to set up a photo booth at your wedding reception. Design the photo strip to line up with your wedding theme (if you have a logo, perhaps), or just set up a booth and let the guests have fun with it. Selfies, portraits, and group photos will become even more fun when you offer a variety of frames, props, and costumes
Wheel of Fun
Whether they are strangers or friends, your wedding guests will want to interact with each other when you provide your own version of the Wheel of Fortune, only this time making it a wheel of activities. Spice things up by having options such as “kiss your date,” or “dance to your favorite song.” These selections will allow the guests to let loose and enjoy the day.
Do you have favorite wedding lawn games that didn't make the list? How about a twist to the originals listed above? Let us know by sharing it to the comments below!
More Ideas for Wedding Lawn Games
Wedding lawn games are a great way to keep your guests entertained and create an enjoyable atmosphere during the reception. Here are five ideas for fun wedding lawn games:
- Ladder Ball - This game involves tossing bolas (two balls attached by a rope) at a ladder-like structure. It's a fun, fast-paced game that can be enjoyed by guests of all ages.
- Bocce Ball - This Italian lawn game is a timeless classic. The goal is to get your balls closest to the target ball, making it a great game for strategy and skill.
- Horseshoes - A classic lawn game that's easy to play and provides hours of fun.
- Giant tic-tac-toe - Another classic game that you can find a giant version of for your wedding.
- Blanket Scrabble - Blanket Scrabble is an interesting and entertaining way of playing the popular board game, Scrabble. It combines classic board game play with the coziness of a blanket fort. Instead of using a physical Scrabble board, words are built on pockets sewn into a large blanket.
- Can Jam or Can Toss - This frisbee-based game involves trying to throw a frisbee into a can. It's a simple, yet challenging game that can be enjoyed by all skill levels. Similarly, you can also choose to offer Can Toss, a game where players try to throw a ball into a series of cans or buckets.
- Lawn bowling - This is a fun and easy way to add entertainment to a cocktail hour. You just need large pins, a ball, and a flat space to play.
- Ring toss - The ring toss game is an age-old carnival classic. The goal of the game is to throw a ring onto a post or hook in order to win the game. Ring toss games are great for both adults and children - it's an easy activity that anyone can participate in and enjoy!
- Croquet - Croquet is a classic outdoor game that has been capturing people's attention for centuries. Played with either two or four players, each person gets an array of colored balls and uses either a mallet or stick to hit them toward the end of course.
- Beer Pong - Celebrations tend to kick it up a notch when alcohol gets thrown into the mix, especially when drinking becomes part of a game. Make your wedding even more enjoyable with a good old-fashioned game of beer pong. All you need is a few ping pong balls, cups, and beer! Of course, you'll want to encourage your guests to drink responsibly.
Incorporating lawn games into your wedding reception is a great way to add a fun, relaxed element to the festivities. Choose games that suit the style of your wedding and your guests, and watch as everyone enjoys a memorable day filled with laughter and fun.